Monday, May 22, 2017

The Power Behind Music

Take a look at these two instruments. On the left side, you have a small, delicate flute producing light, beautiful music. On the right side, you have a huge, strong tuba producing deep, supporting music.
















In our band, I consider every instrument important. In any band, every instrument plays a key role in the music the band produces, but I think that the tuba and the flute are among the most important instruments.

The flute is the highest pitched instrument overall, along with the piccolo. This is why the flute typically plays the melody of a song. A higher pitch will be more likely be heard over the deeper instruments. Without a melody, songs would sound very different.

The tuba is the lowest pitched instrument in a band. Even though it's the lowest, the tuba plays a really big role in our band music. This year in band class, I learned that tubas play supporting parts and harmony parts, keeping the band on track during the song. Our tuba player, Alex, does a really good job of this because he practices so hard on his tuba.

Bands really cannot do without these two instruments. Flutes bring out the melody while tubas support with the harmony, and although they are two very different instruments, they both play a key role in the music that is produced.

This is one of the reasons I love band - we work together to create something we love: music! We are a team, just like my swim team, but the interest that we have together is different from swimming. And that is why I am grateful for my band - because they work with me to that we can all enjoy the music that we love. The power behind music is our teamwork. I'm glad I took band because it's taught me a lot about how we can work together and create a rainbow of sound from black and white notes. I'm proud of us!

1 comment:

  1. Again -- I really dig your work, Abby!

    You are a natural at this reflecting stuff, that's for sure. I love that you are thinking about teamwork through the band - and through the roles that different instruments play in the band. That's super cool.

    Want a suggestion for a follow-up post?

    I THINK you have enough information now to explain the science behind high and low pitched sounds! That would make for a neat connection to this post because you mention high and low pitches, but not the reason that high and low pitches happen.

    #doubledogdare

    Mr. F

    ReplyDelete