Saturday, May 27, 2017

Write About Writer's Block!

Charles Bukowski once said, "Writing about a writer's block is better than not writing at all." Writer's block can be really difficult to get through - it may feel like your creative mind has left you, and you're just boring and you can't think of anything new. I love writing, and I've gotten writer's block several times. Here are some strategies I use to get out of writer's block that I'd like to share:

1. Listen to music. You can get so many ideas from listening to music. Like writing and drawing, music is a form of art, and art is a form of inspiration. People who create music, either through an instrument or with their voices, use their words or their melody to express feelings and words. Just listen to music and pull out ideas that you'd like to use in your writing.


2. Read. I know that this sounds like something that people do everyday, but books are also a form of art and inspiration. When you find a cool idea that the author or poet used, you can borrow the idea and use it in a different way in your own writing. Authors help each other out by sharing their writings.


3. Get creative. You're probably wondering, how do I get creative if I'm missing my creative mind? Just take out your pencil and sketchbook and draw whatever comes to mind. You can just draw something in your room, such as a lamp or a potted plant. Drawing can help you get ideas that you can write about.


4. Go outside. Go for a walk, go biking, go swimming, go hiking. You could even just go outside and sit in your backyard. Nature is what makes the world work, and to me is one of the most inspiring forces on this planet. Just observe nature and you just might get a cool idea.



Even though I use strategies such as these to get rid of my writer's block, I still find that I blank a lot while I'm writing! From now on, I'll remember to practice these strategies more often so that I stay inspired and ready to write more.

1 comment:

  1. Totally dig this, Kid.

    You know that I'm a writer, right? I've written seven books for teachers!

    One of the tips that I always give to people is to have several different kinds of posts in mind as a writer. Some might be long, thoughtful reflections. Some might be "Share a Great Quote." Some might be "Share an interesting picture." Some might be "Write a Poem." Some might be "Point people to an article."

    Here's why: The key for me to fighting writer's block is to write. All the time. Even when you don't want to. And those different posts up there require different amounts of work for me. Sharing a picture and a quote are easy -- but they still require some writing. So on the days when I don't FEEL like writing, I tackle one of those posts.

    That way, I know I can get some writing in, but it's not going to be hard.

    On days when I'm super inspired, I'll tackle more challenging bits.

    Anyway -- I love that you love to write. That's cool.

    Mr. F

    ReplyDelete